- STOURHEAD -

Stourton Village

HOME PAGE : WEST COUNTRY
1 : Introduction to Stourhead
2 : Stourton Village
3 : Stourton Church

4 : Stourhead Gardens
5 : Stourhead Grotto
6 : Stourhead Pantheon

7 : Stable Yards and Kitchen Gardens
8 : Stourhead House
HOME PAGE : LIST-O-LINKS INDEX

Stourton is a village and part of the Stourhead estate.

The village is close to the county boundary with Somerset and about 8.5 miles (13.7 km) south of the Somerset market town of Frome.

The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter contains family monuments of the Hoare family, owners of the estate. The architect and mason Nathaniel Ireson was churchwarden in the 1720s and may have done work on the church himself. The antiquarian, William Coxe, was rector from 1801 to 1811.

The church is featured on a separate page in this website. Please click here .



Across the road from the row of houses the local public house and inn may be found.



An inn has stood on this site since the 18th Century and was originally known as the Stourton Inn. In 1815 the name was changed to the Spread Eagle.

The gate piers with the Eagle heads (one is shown at the bottom of the page), the walls between the memorial hall and the Inn date from the early 19th Century when the courtyard was created roughly in its present form to service the Inn.

When first constructed in the mid 18th Century the Inn building consisted of the Front Range with Flemish bond brickwork facing the yard, appearing much as it does today. The kitchen area was added along with the rear hall and bedrooms above probably at the turn of the 19th Century.

Although altered, the inn retains many fine architectural details including Georgian and Regency fireplaces, some 18th Century door cases and original sash windows.

buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes